Pittsburgh Theological Seminary will present “A New Inscription from the Time of King David?” Tues., April 13 at 7:30 p.m. in the Knox Room, Long Hall. Dr. Yosef Garfinkel, Hebrew University, will discuss his excavations at Khirbet Qeiyafa, located near the Elah Valley and identified as biblical Sha’arayim.
This event is free and open to the public. Contact the Bible Lands Museum at 412-924-1394 for more information.
The site is a single phase occupation dated in the early 10th century. In 2008 a five-line ink inscription on a pottery sherd excavated at the site brought worldwide attention. It has been dated to 1050-970 BCE, and has been tentatively identified as being in the Proto-Canaanite script of the alphabet. Professor Garfinkel will discuss current efforts to identify the language of the inscription and to determine its content. Yosef Garfinkel is professor of biblical archaeology at Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Before his recent work at Qeiyafa, he excavated numerous Neolithic and Chalcolithic sites including Gesher, Sha’ar HaGolan, Tel ‘Ali, and Tel Tsaf. He has a special interest in ancient farming, water sources, and dance and is the author of numerous articles and books, including Dance at the Dawn of Agriculture and The Prehistory of Israel: Human Cultures Before Writing.
The Bible Lands Museum will be open from 5:00 to 7:15 p.m. and after the lecture. The Museum contains a significant collection of ancient Near Eastern and Palestinian pottery and artifacts brought together by travelers and archeologists during the past 60 years. Many exhibits resulted from the eight excavations of which the Seminary has been a part. Exhibits of the Bible Lands Museum offer glimpses into life from prehistoric times into the Middle Ages. Artifacts include many forms of pottery; objects made of stone, bone, alabaster, faience, glass, and metal; and rare examples of ancient basketry, leather, and textiles.
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is a graduate professional institution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A). Founded in 1794, the Seminary is located in Pittsburgh, Pa. and approximately 320 students are enrolled yearly in the degree programs. The Seminary prepares leaders who proclaim with great joy God’s message of good news in both word and deed. PTS is rooted in the Reformed history of faithfulness to Scripture and commitment to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.