James A. Kelso Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament
Year Started at PTS: 2005
- Ph.D., Union Theological Seminary in Virginia / Hebrew Bible, 1989
- M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary / Hebrew Bible, 1981
- B.A., West Virginia Wesleyan College Year: 1978 Major: Psychology and Religion
After studying at West Virginia Wesleyan College and Princeton Theological Seminary, the Rev. Dr. Steven Tuell earned his Ph.D. in Hebrew Bible at Union Theological Seminary in Virginia. He taught at Erskine College, S.C. (1989-1992) and Randolph-Macon College, Va. (1992-2005), receiving numerous awards for teaching excellence. Tuell’s particular research interest is the biblical literature of the early Persian period. He has written numerous articles and book reviews, including multiple entries in Feasting on the Word (a commentary on the Common Lectionary published by Westminster John Knox). He has also been a frequent contributor to the United Methodist Publishing House Adult Bible Studies curriculum and Bible Reader series. Tuell has written The Law of the Temple in Ezekiel 40-48 in the Harvard Semitic Monographs Series, a commentary on 1 and 2 Chronicles in the Interpretation Series, and with John Strong co-edited Constituting the Community, a collection of essays on community in the Hebrew Bible, written in honor of S. Dean McBride Jr. His most recent book is a commentary on Ezekiel, published by Baker in the Understanding the Old Testament Commentary series. He is now writing a commentary on Nahum through Malachi for Smith-Helwys. An ordained elder in The United Methodist Church, Tuell has served churches in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, and Virginia. He is a member in full connection of The Western Pennsylvania Conference of The United Methodist Church, and preaches and teaches frequently throughout the area. He and his wife Wendy have three adult sons.
Ordination: United Methodist Church Year, 1983 as Elder
Current Pastoral Position: Member in Full Connection, Western Pennsylvania Annual Conference of the UMC
Local Church Membership: St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, Allison Park, Pa.
Areas of Specialty
- Biblical literature of the Early Persian Period (especially Chronicles)
- OT prophetic books (especially Ezekiel; Nahum through Malachi)
- Olmsted Adult Retreat Center
- Western Pennsylvania Conference Commission in Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns
- Western PA representative to Northeast Jurisdictional Conference
Committee on Theology and Education of Christian Associates
- 2007: Science and Transcendence Advanced Research Series fellow; Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences
- 2005: Faculty Member of the Year, Student Government Association, Randolph-Macon College
- 1998: Randolph-Macon College nominee, State Council of Higher Education in Virginia Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1996 and 1994: Thomas Branch Award for Excellence in Teaching, Randolph-Macon College
- 1995: General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church Award for exemplary teaching at a United Methodist-related institution of higher education
Audio and Video
* This material expresses the research and opinion of Tuell and is not necessarily the opinion of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary faculty, staff, or Board of Directors.