The product of two centuries of development, the Clifford E. Barbour Library houses the combined collections of several theological schools in the Pittsburgh area dating to 1794. This important resource for both church and academy represents the largest theological library in the tri-state area and is a "theological treasure" central to the academic mission of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.
Completed in 1964, the Barbour Library houses more than 400,000 items, including more than 296,000 books. The library offers public access computers, 100 study carrels in open stack areas, 20 study rooms, a comfortable reading room, and a lounge. In addition the library is home to the Archives and several Special Collections including the John M. Mason Memorial Collection, a priceless collection of classical theological works dating from the Reformation period, as well as the James Warrington Collection of Hymnology, which contains several thousand valuable hymn and song books that came from the estate of James Warrington of Philadelphia.
The library's online catalog (CALVIN) and several core academic and theological databases are the primary access points for students, faculty, and researchers. Other databases are available to users on campus and on a restricted basis to off-campus users. If you have additional questions regarding CALVIN or other electronic resources, contact the library front desk at 412-924-1354.
Visit the library's website for more information about borrowing privileges, hours, and library resources.