News And Events
Alumnae/i Days 2013 Photo Gallery
Seminary Hosts Pittsburgh Pastoral Care Conference
PTS Receives Grant for Worship Renewal Project
Series Explores the Idea of Spiritual But Not Religious
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary Names Assistant Professor of Homiletics
PTS Welcomes Associate Professor of Leadership and Ministry
Meet our Faculty and Staff in Your Area
Campus Tour - Library
The product of two centuries of development, the Clifford E. Barbour Library houses the combined collections of several theological schools in the Pittsburgh area dating to 1794. This important resource for both church and academy represents the largest theological library in the tri-state area, and a "theological treasure" central to the academic mission of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.
Completed in 1964, the Barbour Library offers more than 295,000 volumes for research and exploration. The library offers on-line public access computers, 100 study carrels in open stack areas, 20 study rooms, a comfortable reading room, and a lounge. For more information about borrowing and resources visit Barbour Library.
The John M. Mason Memorial Collection is a priceless group of classical theological works dating from the Reformation period. It is housed in the Anderson Collection of rare and antiquarian books.
The James Warrington Collection of Hymnology contains several thousand valuable hymn and song books which came from the estate of James Warrington of Philadelphia.
The Frank Dixon McCloy Room contains the Seminary's archives and historical materials directly related to the institution's history.
The library also houses materials related to the Associate, Associate Reformed, United Presbyterian, and Presbyterian (U.S.A.) congregations, synods, and general assemblies.
Currently a $600,000 project is underway to install a climate control system, helping to preserve the rare- and special-book collections.
The library's catalog and several core academic and theological databases are the primary access points for students, faculty, and researchers.
The library catalog (CALVIN- Computer Assisted Library Virtual Information Network) is available both on and off campus with no restrictions. It contains information about books, periodicals, videos, micro format materials, and cassettes that the library owns. CALVIN is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Other databases are available to all users on campus and on a restricted basis to off-campus users.
Visit the library's website for basic information or a more comprehensive presentation on remote access. Direct all questions regarding CALVIN or other electronic resources to the Electronic Services Librarian or the library front desk at 412-924-1354.
Check out the library's hours.